A behind-the-scenes look at
the people who make us great.

Dana Dabbagh

Job: Software Engineer 
Time at Lexicon: 1 year

What does your typical day at Lexicon look like?

Well, it depends on which client I’m working with but the general gist tends to remain the same. As a consultant, you’re expected to liaise with the client and do what they expect from a software delivery perspective. I’m the Tech-Lead for my team currently, so I spend 60% of my time coding, looking at the backlog, features, etc. and the other 40% is administration and team management stuff, ensuring things are on track and so on.

What’s been your favourite project or engagement so far?

I really liked James Hardie, because I got to build something from scratch since it was a Greenfield project. It was an awesome engagement and we chose all the ways in which we wanted to go about things… Engineers always prefer doing things their own way, it’s much more fun!! With James Hardie it was about seeing a brand new website for a huge company, up, live and running and built solely by my team. It was such a rewarding project!!

What’s your favourite thing about working at Lexicon?

Lexicon really feels like a family, it’s not very big and there’s a big care-factor from those you work with and management. Chris, the Managing Director, really puts in the effort to make it a great place for us, he’s also extremely humble and approachable! In parallel to Lexicon being a small business, we also work for big blue-chip companies, so we kind of get the best of both environments, with good foundations on both ends.

So how did you get into what you do? Have you always wanted to be doing this?

I’ve always been a computer nerd, whether it be with games or creating stuff myself. I went through a lot of phases growing up. My mums an Embryologist, and so growing up I thought I’d follow her steps and get into that. I then moved into Animation and in year 11 and 12 at school, I did Software Development and knew it was an area that would be in great demand in the future. I then figured it was a good career path in terms of continuous work, all the while doing something I enjoyed!

What were you doing before you joined Lexicon?

I used to work at MediaBrands. I was a Software Engineer there, not so much a Consultant like I am now, and because it was a media company I had to really work on my people skills and communication. When I got the job with them, I was the only Software Engineer, it taught me great skills in working with non-tech people. Additionally, that’s where I met Reynaldo, who now also works for Lexicon. It’s super fun to be together here too!!

What’s your favourite thing to do on the weekend?

I’d say I spend a lot of time socializing. I hang out with my partner, see my friends and also see my family every Sunday. Weekends mostly consist of chilling out, going to the pub and other random adventures. And no… I don’t spend all my weekend coding contrary to popular belief.

What’s something that most people might not know about you?

I was born in Jordan, in the Middle East and funnily enough, people think I have an American accent. In saying that, I did learn English through American shows. I can speak basic Arabic too.

Are there any apps or software that you couldn’t live without?

I’m going to say no, and that I can live without apps. I’m really agnostic with that type of stuff but communicative apps are super helpful, so I’m just happy I can use them. Relative to software, I just like to use whatever program is best suited to the project or client’s needs, but my personal preference is JavaScript stack (ReactJS and NodeJS).

Is there any advice that you’d give to your younger self?

Yes, so many things, wow!!! Mostly just to’ let the pieces fall…’, whatever they may be. I’ve spent so much of my life worrying about unnecessary things, like what’s going to happen next? Am I going to get a good job? I just stressed so much about things that didn’t need stressing over. I’ve come to learn that I can adapt to anything, and that’s the most important thing.

Is there any advice you’d give to a junior Developer?

I would say focus on learning and beating your own goals. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else in the field. A lot of people in this industry, I find, have imposter syndrome. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s the persistent inability to believe that one’s success is deserved – you believe you’re a fraud and you’ve fluked your whole career. This industry is competitive and yes, you do compete with extremely smart people but rather than compete, learn, network and do your own thing!